[pass] Pass hanging on decrypt

Daniel Seymour dannyseeless at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 17:58:19 CET 2015

SO I just realized that I actually didn't include the whole mailing list in
my problem as I should have.  James Cameron was very helpful in helping me
troubleshoot.  The problem with my system happened to be that the gpg
binary that pass was attempting to use was GPG 1.  I edited the pass bash
script to point to gpg2 and everything started working.

Can a check be implemented to check to make sure that the gpg version pass
uses is GPG2 and not GPG?

On Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 9:59 PM, Mike Charlton <mikekchar at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's a long shot, but are you sure you have the private key on your
> system?  Some GPG tutorials encourage people to move their private keys off
> of their computer so that it can't be compromised.  But if you do that with
> your encryption key, then you can't decrypt anything :-)
>
> Try GPG -K to list the private keys on your system.
>
> On 16 November 2015 at 08:36, Daniel Seymour <dannyseeless at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> First off, thanks for the AMAZING piece of software. I didn't really like
>> the idea
>> of LastPass being linked to my browser and KeePass felt clunky for me.
>> Pass has
>> filled the password manager void for me.
>>
>> Not to explain my issue, I have been having some rather odd issues. I am
>> able to
>> initialize a password store with my GPG key and pass is able to create the
>> password store, generate new passwords and store them, but when I attempt
>> to use
>> any of the pass functions that decrypt a gpg file, pass seems to hang for
>> about a
>> minute before throwing an error: "gpg: decryption failed: No secret key"
>>
>> I have deleted and created multiple password stores with every possible
>> gpg key ID
>> on my system and still nothing works. Anyone have an idea what I am doing
>> wrong?
>>
>> Example of what I have done:
>>
>> pass init XXXXXXXX (using both the pub and sub key IDs)
>> pass generate test.com 20
>> pass show test.com
>>
>> (and this is where the decryption error is thrown. It doesn't even prompt
>> for a
>> password)
>>
>> Just to clarify, I have made sure to completely delete the password store
>> directory before attempting to create a new one (rm -r ~/.password-store)
>>
>> I am on a fully updated Fedora 23 Workstation.

Danny Seymour
dannyseeless at gmail.com