[pass] Patch to skip first line for pass show

Michael F. Herbst info at michael-herbst.com
Tue Oct 13 22:54:35 CEST 2015

Dear all

similar to what is described on http://www.passwordstore.org/ I am using
pass to organise my password records in the scheme

password
User: ...

If you have a similarly bad memory than myself, then you probably tend
to forget all the extra info which you entered in the multiline record
as well.

For this reason I cooked up a small patch for pass which adds the extra
flag -s to the list of arguments show accepts. If "-s" or "--skip" is
passed, the usual output of gpg is piped to tail -n+2, such that all
lines *but* the first are printed to stdout.
In other words this allows one to quickly check the extra info which is
entered, without displaying the password in the clear to the terminal.
One disadvantage of this method is that I am loosing the return code of
gpg, but since I still get stderr from it, I would be ok with it.

I am using this feature myself quite regularly atm. and I would be happy
to see your feedback on it.

Best
Michael

--
Michael F. Herbst
Interdisziplinäres Zentrum für wissenschaftliches Rechnen

Blog:      http://blog.mfhs.eu/
GPG key:   http://docs.mfhs.eu/gpgkey.asc
Checksum:  3C0D 5B31 CDC8 F3B8 52AD 00E6 3887 DB67 44A9 DF9F