[pass] Transfer password store to a server

Chris Warrick kwpolska at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 18:34:40 CEST 2015

On 14 October 2015 at 18:27, Eregus <eregus at installgentoo.com> wrote:
> On 2015-10-14 18:03, Chris Warrick wrote:
>>
>> On 14 October 2015 at 17:59, Eregus <eregus at installgentoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On server:
>>> eregus at myserver:~$ rm -rf pass-store/
>>> eregus at myserver:~$ mkdir pass-store
>>> eregus at myserver:~$ cd pass-store/
>>> eregus at myserver:~/pass-store$ git init
>>> Initialized empty Git repository in /home/eregus/pass-store/.git/
>>> eregus at myserver:~/pass-store$ git config --local
>>> receive.denyCurrentBranch
>>> "ignore"
>>

>> The git misfeature you want to use is:
>>
>> git config receive.denyCurrentBranch updateInstead
>>
> Is it possible to do it while having older version of git (1.9.1 - there's
> no updateInstead option in this version)? I'm not the admin so updating git
> is not that easy.

Then you need to try scenario 2:

1. two repos on your server, one is bare and the other isn’t
2. the non-bare repo is set up in ~/.password-store (the usual
location for pass) and has the bare repo as its origin remote (using
just $HOME/pass-store as the remote address)
3. the bare repo has a post-receive hook
(~/pass-store/hooks/post-receive), which is a bash script that calls
pass git pull origin master and updates the server password store
appropriately

PGP: 5EAAEA16