[pass] [Feature Request] Add a `--raw` option to `pass ls`

Linden Krouse ztaticnull at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 16:34:11 CET 2016

I would argue that having parsable output would make more sense for a cli
program than pretty print. Anyone can write a wrapper to pretty print
something easily parsable, but it's a pain to parse pretty print, even if
it isn't subject to change. While running a find on the password store
directory is an option, it bypasses `pass` entirely. This means, if `pass`
ever chooses to start saving it's store differently, any reimplementations
of it's password store reader will break.

I'm in favor of the above patch!

On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 9:11 AM, Kenny Evitt <kenny.evitt at gmail.com> wrote:

> Why do you need an option in `pass` itself for listing the passwords?
> They're just files. You can just use standard file listing
> functions/methods/etc. if you don't want the pretty-print version `pass`
> outputs.
>
> Pass itself uses either the value of the environment variable
> `PASSWORD_STORE_DIR` or `$HOME/.password-store` as the root path of the
> password store directory.
>
> Here's the relevant code from the Pass shell script:
>
> ```
> PREFIX="${PASSWORD_STORE_DIR:-$HOME/.password-store}"
> ```

- Sent from my microwave oven