[pass] Fwd: Error when naming password GIT

Lucas Hoffmann l-m-h at web.de
Tue Sep 13 09:37:57 CEST 2016

Quoting Steven Clarkson (2016-09-13 09:27:36)
> This is the first time I've done something like this, so sorry if it's not
> helpful or wrong, but I think it would be helpful if there was an error
> (or warning) when you tried to save a password with the same name as a
> command.  For instance I inserted a password with the name git, then I
> couldn't access it without typing the full "pass show git", "pass git"
> tried to use the git features of pass.  I'm assuming this would be the
> case if you named a password "help" or "init" or "list" as well.
>
> I think something simple like this would work?  Or possible to define an
> array of command names that can't be used?
>
> If [[ $path -eq "help" || $path -eq "git" || etc. ]]; then
>               echo "Cannot use Git or Help as password names"
>               exit

I think the main feature is to use pass with the subcommands.  The fact
that you can leave out the "show" subcommand is just a nice add on but
not the main and most relevant feature about the cli of pass.

Or to say it the other way round:  The show command exists to allow you
to use any password name and tell pass to show it and not confuse it
with one of its subcommands.