pass-otp: A pass extension for managing one-time-password tokens

Thomas Harning Jr. harningt at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 04:21:21 CET 2017

Awesome enhancement! One suggestion that I have would be the ability
to store the OTP in the URI format (ex:
https://github.com/google/google-authenticator/wiki/Key-Uri-Format )
... although looking deeper, I cannot seem to find any other
references that use it.

The nice bit about the key URI format is that it bundles all the OTP
details in an optional way with defined defaults and helps keep all
the OTP details in one place.

So - rather than inserting all your OTP values in the neat and
detailed set of lines, you'd be storing your data in just one
format... and plus the URI export mechanism I just noticed in the
source code would be a one-time deal, generated / stored at import
time (if the manual pieces were used). Of course it would need to be
decoded each time to do some useful work.

I envision that if the parameter format was standardized well, this
would be a very useful addition to the mobile phone implementations -
perhaps with a setup where the password was stored AND the OTP
generator with the option to capture the OTP URI at import / edit time
(although this is well beyond the scope of this pass extension).

If I find time, I'll try to track down a useful URI decoder mechanism for bash,

Thomas Harning Jr. (http://about.me/harningt)