Generate new password for multiline entries

Brian Candler b.candler at pobox.com
Sat Jan 28 20:14:06 CET 2017

On 28/01/2017 16:42, Simon Lackerbauer wrote:
> On 01/28/2017 05:34 PM, Brian Candler wrote:
>> I like this idea a lot. I like keeping history of passwords, as
>> sometimes you come across some forgotten system which still uses a
>> password from one or more generations ago.
> Isn't that what's basically the point of the git integration? Each
> change of any file in the pass store is separately committed anyways and
> easily searchable with the appropriate git tools.

Yes I know, but it's not trivial. First you 'git log <filename>' (where
filename is relative to the current directory) until you find what you
think is the commit you want. Then since you've forgotten the command,
you google for it. Then you run "git show <commit>:<filename>" (where,
this time, filename is relative to the top of the repo), remembering to
pipe it into gpg -d to decrypt it.

Whereas what I do is just have a file containing:

<current pwd>
<current-1 pwd>
<current-2 pwd>

so that when I'm logging into a system, I have the various generations
of password there right in front of me.