connect to existing GIT repo

ashaw at seberg.co.uk ashaw at seberg.co.uk
Fri May 26 11:28:06 CEST 2017

Hi,

I have a remote password store GIT repo, and have a few devices set up to sync. All works well, but I'm struggling
to get a new Linux Fedora laptop to sync for the first time. I've run through the setup, but my initial attempt to
pull from the remote repo gives me this:

There is no tracking information for the current branch.
Please specify which branch you want to merge with.
See git-pull(1) for details.

    git pull <remote> <branch>

If you wish to set tracking information for this branch you can do so with:

    git branch --set-upstream-to=origin/<branch> master

Likewise, when I try to push:

pass git push
fatal: The current branch master has no upstream branch.
To push the current branch and set the remote as upstream, use

    git push --set-upstream origin master

Which I try:

pass git push --set-upstream origin master
To ssh://<host>/<repo>
 ! [rejected]        master -> master (non-fast-forward)
error: failed to push some refs to 'ssh://<host>/<repo>'
hint: Updates were rejected because the tip of your current branch is behind
hint: its remote counterpart. Integrate the remote changes (e.g.
hint: 'git pull ...') before pushing again.
hint: See the 'Note about fast-forwards' in 'git push --help' for details.

I've looked at some of the GIT posts to try and figure this out, but so far I'm unable to get past this.

Can anyone advise as to how to get this working?

Many thanks.