pass git push with a nested repo

Jason Banfelder jbanfelder at mail.rockefeller.edu
Sat Nov 4 23:55:51 CET 2017

Hello all,

My pass implementation has a nested git repo for work-related secrets (since I don't want to store personal secrets in my employer's git repo, and vise-versa). E.g…

18:37:54 nomad ~ 10018$ pass
Password Store     <- this has my personal repo
├── oss            <- this has my nested repo for work stuff
│   └── foo
└── personal
    ├── sites
    │   ├── applywithus.com
    │   ├── collegenet.com
    │   └── commonapp.org
    └── vendors
        ├── amazon
        └── apple
            └── itunes

As per the pass man page ("Sub-directories may be separate nested git repositories, and pass will use the inner-most directory relative to the current password."), this has been working great for show, generate, etc.; however, I can't seem to find a way to push the nested repo using the pass command; `pass git …` doesn't seem to offer a way of specifying the subfolder to operate on. I can make this work by cd-ing into ~/.password-store/oss and doing a "bare" git push, but was wondering/hoping there was a means do this with a `pass` command?

[Running pass 1.7.1 on OS X obtained via homebrew]

Thanks in advance for your consideration and assistance,
Jason