Add support for *clip.exe* for Bash on Ubuntu on Windows

Kenny Evitt kenny.evitt at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 19:10:07 CET 2017

Hi Jason,

I finally had some time to work on this. I made some good progress
initially – reading from and writing to the clipboard is easy and works
(based on my very limited testing so far).

However, I've run into the *effective* impossibility of being able to
reading, and saving, arbitrary data from the Windows clipboard. Other
software that does this actually *doesn't* do it – not in full generality.
For example, AutoHotkey, a popular Windows scripting tool, seems to support
specific formats and also *not *support other specific formats.

Just based on this basic failure, I started wondering about the convention
that Pass follows of even bothering to save the contents of the clipboard
before writing data to it. What's the source of that convention? Why did
you adopt it for Pass? Almost all other programs seem to just overwrite any
existing data – why does Pass try to retain the original contents?

I looked into the Cygwin */dev/clipboard* device and, probably more
importantly, tested it myself with clipboard data that I wasn't (easily)
able to save either – a JPG copied from the Google Chrome browser. Cygwin's
clipboard doesn't contain any data for the image!

So, given all of the above, is it sufficient that I can (easily) save and
restore *text* in the Windows clipboard? Or do we want to aim for all data?

Have you thought about how to handle the
Ubuntu-on-Windows-reports-that-it-is-a-version-of-Linux-and-one-from-the-future-too
problem? For now, for me just testing possible approaches, I'm working with
a *linux.sh* platform file.

Thanks,
Kenny