Symlinked files appear every search result

Simon Lackerbauer simon at lackerbauer.com
Thu Oct 12 14:43:47 CEST 2017

On 10/12/2017 02:13 PM, Daniel Marks wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> as my company is using Jira as authentication backend for several Atlassian tools I created some symlinks in my password store, so I will only have to update one secret for all those logins. However, when I search for anything those links appear in every search result no matter what the search term is.
>
> % pass find foobar
> Search Terms: foobar
> └── mycompany
>   ├── confluence.mycompany.de -> mycompany\ Atlassian\ Tools
>   └── jira.mycompany.de -> mycompany\ Atlassian\ Tools
>
> Is it this a bug? Is there a workaround or best practice?

This bug seems to only appear with relative symlinks. I only use
absolute symlinks in my store and it doesn't show up, but with relative
symlinks it does:

% pass find foobar
Search Terms: foobar

% pass find test
Search Terms: test
└── company
    └── admin -> /home/ciil/vcs/work-credentials
        └── atlassian
            └── admin-test

% ln -s site.gpg site-test
% pass find foobar
Search Terms: foobar
└── site-test -> site

Probably something something shell globbing? My passmenu was originally
also not playing nice with links, so I changed it to use `find` instead.
Maybe you can rewrite the pass find function to use `find` as well.
Another possible workaround in this case: only use absolute links.

Cheers
Simon
--
www.lackerbauer.com
8A86 BD14 1859 44F2 5B83  6908 4B81 EE5D 6A56 A4DE