--multiline option for pass generate

Tristan Miller psychonaut at nothingisreal.com
Fri Dec 28 10:49:05 CET 2018

Dear all,

As suggested on the Pass website, I often create multiline passwords
that store the password on the first line and the username on the second
line.  The problem with this approach is that this is always a two-step
process: either I need to first manually generate the password (say,
with pwgen) and then type/paste it in with "pass insert --multiline", or
else I need to run "pass generate" followed by "pass edit".

It would be nice if "pass generate" accepted the same --multiline option
that "pass insert" does.  This way it would automatically generate a
strong password and add it to the first line of the file, and then
prompt the user for additional lines.

Is there any way of getting pass to do this sort of thing already?  If
not, please consider this a feature request.

Regards,
Tristan

P.S. -- A search of the archives turned up a similar discussion about
two years ago at
<https://lists.zx2c4.com/pipermail/password-store/2017-January/002668.html>.
However, the problem (and solution) dealt with how to overwrite an
existing multiline password, not how to generate a new one.

--
                  Tristan Miller