Feature Suggestion / discussion: add a command line option for xclip's clipboard selection in addition / instead of $PASSWORD_STORE_X_SELECTION

Doron Behar doron.behar at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 19:16:32 CET 2018

Hello dear community,

After a long time I have been using `pass`, I have read the man page and
read about the respected environmental variable
`$PASSWORD_STORE_X_SELECTION` and I wondered to myself why isn't there a
quick command line option instead of it. Most of the time, I use the
default `$X_SELECTION` `clipboard` because this is what my browser
accepts. Sometimes though, I need to copy a password to insert into a
terminal with `Shift+Insert` and my terminal emulator it is using the
`primary` clipboard for it.

Wouldn't it be great if the defaults would be kept the same and we could
choose with a quickly typed command line option to use the `primary`
clipboard? How about `-C` instead of `-c` for `primary` instead of
`clipboard`.

I'd also like to know what attitude to take on this matter, whether a
new option `-C` in addition to `-c` will be proper, and perhaps keeping
`$PASSWORD_STORE_X_SELECTION` for the default (`-c`) `clipboard`
selection, or perhaps using a new option `-s` / `--selection` will be
better?

I'll be glad to know what do you think and whether it will be worth my
time.