using pass with multiple keys

Niklas Hambüchen mail at nh2.me
Sat Jan 20 18:39:40 CET 2018

On 20/01/2018 16.05, Sean Murphy wrote:> However,
> if I lose the yubikey and the subkeys residing on the yubikey,
> then I lose access to all my passwords.

I might be misunderstanding what you're saying, but a common way to use
GPG subkeys is:

* You keep the master key (non-subkey) is a safe offline place so that
you can make more subkeys from it in the future
* You keep the subkeys ALSO backed up in that safe offline place so that
you can put them on a new device like the Yubikey in case you lose it

So in the event that you lose your Yubikey, you just buy a new Yubikey,
retrieve the subkeys from your safe offline place and `keytocard` them
to the new Yubikey.

That way you can also put the same subkeys on 2 Yubikeys, so that you
have a working backup key already prepared if you desire.

Niklas