question on security

Ben Oliver ben at bfoliver.com
Sun Jan 28 11:06:42 CET 2018

On 18-01-28 10:25:31, Greg Minshall wrote:
>hi.  thanks very much to the responsible parties for password-store,
>which i'm happily using on lubuntu.
>
>i'm attracted to somehow synchronizing with my iphone.  the solution
>(that i've seen) uses git for synchronizing.
>
>this tickles something that's worried me a bit since i started looking
>at pass, which is, i *worry* that the security of exposing lots of tiny,
>"known-format" (more or less) files, all encrypted with the same key,
>may be less secure than exposing one large, known-format, file,
>encrypted with that same key.
>
>(this is my intuition speaking to me and, of course, *my* intuition,
>especially w.r.t. security, is infallible... :)
>
>does anyone have any opinions/numbers/facts?
>
>cheers, Greg

This is one of the main 'weaknesses' with pass - it exposes all of the
file names and therefore (for most people I presume) website names.
There are ways around this but I'm not sure they work on iPhone.

It's a risk I'm willing to take if the tradeoff is the excellent
usability and simple, transparent mechanism pass uses to encrypt and
send files.

One thing I like about using gpg as a solution is that you can encrypt
with multiple keys. This means you don't need to use the same key on
your phone as on your PC.