A single text file as password store database?

Hörmetjan Yiltiz hyiltiz at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 23:20:57 CEST 2018

Hi all,

I thought the `pass insert --multiline` command could be used to create
something like this:

ThisIsABadPassword
login: myUserName
url: example.com

AnotherBadPassword
login: myUserName
url: *.google.com/*

However, it seems that is not the case, and never is. I tried concatenating
all the files that I imported to password store to a single line following
the above structure (password, login username, url and a blank line), but
`pass` doesn't seem to understand that. While I could still decrypt and
encrypt it and manage it myself, that defeats the purpose of using `pass`
to do it for me.

Is a single file as a password sore database ever supported, or planned to
be supported? I'd rather not leak information in a directory structure or
through the file names. Also, gpg compression should work better when
encrypting them all together; most usernames are shared, so the compression
will take care of it before encryption. So it improves performance and
security (something that barely goes together).

p.s. I think this should've been discussed before but couldn't find
anything related in the mailing list archives since last year (but didn't
look even further).

Best,
Hörmet

   1. Access to computers—and anything which might teach you something
   about the way the world works—should be unlimited and total. Always yield
   to the Hands-On Imperative!
   2. All information should be free
   3. Mistrust authority — promote decentralization
   4. Hackers should be judged by their hacking, not criteria such as
   degrees, age, race, sex, or position
   5. You can create art and beauty on a computer
   6. Computers can change your life for the better