Question on Migrating gpg Keys

Emil Lundberg lundberg.emil at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 12:49:16 CET 2019

Hi Mark,

While you're going through the effort of re-encrypting things, I would
recommend that you create your encryption subkey outside the YubiKey
(preferably in an airgapped environment) and import it, rather than
generate it on board the YubiKey, so that you can have a backup of it*. At
least if you're using the same encryption subkey for anything else than
Pass - an alternative solution for Pass is to have the password store
encrypted with more than one subkey, but that won't help if you end up with
other things encrypted to only one subkey and lose that subkey. Just a
friendly warning. :)

*Note that you typically don't need backups of signature or authentication
subkeys, because signature verification only needs the public keys - unlike
encryption subkeys, because decryption needs the private keys to be
long-lived.

/Emil