[password-store] FIELD in password-store-clear

Tino Calancha tino.calancha at gmail.com
Sun Sep 22 13:19:02 CEST 2019

On Sun, 22 Sep 2019, Damien Cassou wrote:

> the function password-store-clear now takes a FIELD as parameter but it
> doesn't use it (except for the message). I don't find the function clear
> anymore: what does it mean to clear a field from the kill-ring?

Hi Damien,
thank you for the e-mail.

In origin, we could just pick up the stored password, ie, the first line
in the file.  Then, the docstring
"Clear password in kill ring."

and the message at the end "Password cleared."
were precise.

Now, The library allows to pick up any stored secret field.
For example, a user might retrieve the field, 'username':

M-: (password-store-copy-field "github" "username") RET
;; I read the following in the minibuffer
Copied username for github to the kill ring. Will clear in 45 seconds.

;; Then, after 45 s I read
Field username cleared.

;; Instead of the original message
Password cleared.

I agree this is not a strong argument to change the signature of
`password-store-clear'.  Maybe it'd be better to just fix the docstring
and update the message to something generic like:
(message "Secret cleared.")

What do you think?

Tino