Speedup pass on macOS and brew

Allan Odgaard lists+pass at simplit.com
Thu Sep 26 09:15:08 CEST 2019

On 26 Oct 2018, at 12:12, pass-maillinglist at artursterz.de wrote:

> All right, looks like I have found a good solution thanks to my
> teammate Jonas. It’s a multi-staged lookup. First, look in $PATH, if
> it’s not there, try to get it from brew, then from macports.

I came to the realization that `pass` should *not* try to guess which
package manager can provide `gnu-getopt`.

If the user has a package manager, it is only reasonable to assume
`pass` was installed using a package manager, and therefore the package
manager should patch `pass` to use `gnu-getopt` provided by the package
manager (and setup as a dependency).

So by default, `pass` should simply use `getopt` via `PATH` or possibly
`gnu-getopt` or `/usr/local/bin/getopt` to avoid any issues that could
arise by calling the system’s `getopt`.

What do you think about this?

### Pro

1. Avoids run-time check for `brew` etc.
2. Avoids assumptions about where `brew` etc. actually installs
`gnu-getopt`.
3. Allows user to have multiple package managers without `pass` trying
to use `gnu-getopt` from the “wrong” one.

### Con

1. Each package manager will need to patch `platform/darwin.sh`