bug: blocking the whole computer in some cases

Björn Fries passlist at oern.de
Wed Apr 1 12:09:14 CEST 2020

Am 01.04.20 um 11:41 schrieb J Rt:
> - I am using a smartcard for holding my private GPG key

same here

> - when calling pass grep without the card, my system is blocked, I can
> do nothing to exit.
> - both clicking ok and cancel in the question box asking if I can
> insert smartard do not help.

'pass grep' opens every encrypted file to look for the searched pattern.
pass doesn't know you use a smartcard for your private key. Every time
you cancel the question box, pass invokes gpg for the next file and gpg
asks again for your card.

> - by contrast when doing a pass show for example without the card,
> choosing cancel on the box asking to insert the card aborts and I get
> my system back.

Because pass then only invokes gpg once.

Perhaps pass grep should stop after the first failure to decrypt a file,
but I think this would be wrong, as it could be intented that in a
shared passwordstore some files are not encrypted for a part of the
different users.

I would say [WONTFIX].