Adding extra info when generating a password

Nils Andre nils at nilsand.re
Sat Jun 20 23:07:21 CEST 2020

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 10:10:07AM +0800, Adrian Ho wrote:
> On 19/6/20 12:51 am, John Franklin wrote:
> > On Jun 18, 2020, at 02:46, pass at attackllama.com wrote:
> >> Is there an equivalent to the -m flag of `pass insert` for `pass
> >> generate`? Essentially 100% of the time I want to store my username next
> >> to the password in the file, and have to do `pass generate
> >> my/password/file` then `pass edit my/password/file`,
> >>
> > That sounds like it should be an easy patch, and makes a lot of sense, too.  While we’re at it, are there other flags in insert and generate that could be made common between the two?
>
> In keeping with the Unix philosophy, I'd prefer a `pass new` subcommand
> that just generates a new password to stdout:

Does this really belong to `pass`? This command could be used in many
different circumstances (including places where pass isn't
setup/available).

Also `apg` already provides this functionality (although it is
unmaintained (and IIRC, the only reason debian still has it in its repos
is because there hasn't been a replacement)).

So maybe the solution would be to create a solution to `apg` (or just
use `apg`).

Regards,

Nils