XDG Base Directory Specification

password-store at storiepvtride.it password-store at storiepvtride.it
Mon May 11 12:49:05 CEST 2020

Am 11.05.20 um 07:42 schrieb Guy Godfroy:
> In this case it will, because the password-store directory is only
> configured with an environment variable, and a lot of people didn't
> override this variable.

The specification [0] says that if $XDG_CONFIG_HOME and $XDG_DATA_HOME
are not set they will implicitely point to "~/.config" and "~/.local/share
".

So - yes - care should be taken to check for an already existing
installation in the current default path. Currently I work around with:

$ export PASSWORD_STORE_DIR=$XDG_CONFIG_DIR/.password-store

Maybe a good strategy could be to check in this order:

~/.password-store
$XDG_CONFIG_DIR/.password-store

[0]
https://specifications.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html#variables