XDG Base Directory Specification

Nicolai Dagestad nicolai at dagestad.fr
Tue May 12 23:09:28 CEST 2020

> One example, a browser extension:
> https://github.com/browserpass/browserpass-extension#password-store-locations

There shouldn't be an issue for browserpass, you can set the password_store
location in the settings, and it works without problem for me, with my patch
pass, but there are probably other clients for wich that is not the case.

> So I'm wondering if $PASSWORD_STORE_DIR should become set by default, in
> order to not break other third-parties and still being able to use the
> XDG base install dir.

I don't really like this idea. It brings us back to the the cluttered env
again, which is one of the reason I started the discussion.

The best solution would obviously be to patch the other applications as well as
pass to have the same behaviour:
	If PASSWORD_STORE_DIR is set use that
	else if ~/.password_store exists use that
	else fallback to the XDG dir behaviour

But this will requiere some coordination with those
third-party maintainers.

(PS: sorry if i double sent the message, I had some email server problems)