curious: why use own hosting rather than github?

Allan Odgaard lists+pass at simplit.com
Thu May 21 16:20:42 CEST 2020

On 21 May 2020, at 17:51, Rémi Lapeyre wrote:

> A bug tracker (which can be used in foss, even when using cgit) would
> give the answer immediately and I wouldn’t be afraid that those
> patches will be forgotten and stay forever in the mailing list archive
> without being ever committed.

Many bug trackers are just databases of hundreds if not thousands of
issues with a lot of “+1” or “bump” comments.

The big advantage of a mailing list compared to a bug tracker is that
many users with an interest in the software will subscribe to the
mailing list, and here they will often reply to messages from other
users with “issues”, even review and comment on pull requests
(several patches sent to this list has gone through revisions based on
input from other subscribers, with no interaction from Jason).

There is very few people who would subscribe to a pass bug tracker and
help out users, or do impromptu reviews of pull requests.

So this list decrease the amount of work Jason has to do (responding to
users), and it ensures that patches are put in front of more eyeballs,
which is especially good with pass supporting platforms that Jason do
not himself use (AFAIK).

Unfortunately though Jason is not the best at acknowledging patches, it
does seem like we do lose some patches, though maybe he is just busy and
he does flag all emails with patches, and a bug tracker wouldn’t
necessarily solve anything: I submitted a patch for WebKit 7 years ago
(fixing a bug), bumped it 4 years ago, and that issue is still open.