curious: why use own hosting rather than github?

Phil ph17eas+pass at gmail.com
Fri May 22 13:15:02 CEST 2020

> subscribing and posting on a mailing list is way easier

Just a few days ago I had to register at this mailing list to respond
to an older thread. Does anyone how you accomplish that?
I searched a bit if I could get mailman to send me a thread again,
didn't find an option. Figured I can view-source the web-archive to
find the correct header so it becomes recognized as a response.
Tried to do this on the web-UI of my mail provider (which is a
throwaway account, I don't want to end up with my own domain in search
results for eternity), but my mail ended up as a new thread
nevertheless.
After this experience, I clearly can not see how mailman is easier to
use. This is a very basic feature, mailman is out for ages and still
no one meant to implement/document such a basic functionality.
There are a lot of other issues regarding mailing lists, which I don't
mean to discuss, as they've either being mentioned or discussed in
other places thoroughly over the past years.

I don't say "go use GitHub", but I truly disgrace this elitist stance
of *mailing list or nothing*. I'm a "new contributor" and it took me
more than 30 Minutes just to ask when there is going to be an upcoming
release. I guess it boils down to what the goal of a project is and
who you want to collaborate with, but the more artificial entry
barriers you create, the more you'll end up with the exact opposite of
a diverse contributor crowd.