curious: why use own hosting rather than github?

Brian Exelbierd bex at pobox.com
Fri May 22 18:22:55 CEST 2020

On Fri, May 22, 2020, at 6:11 PM, yanchenko.igor at gmail.com wrote:
> Just wanted to add my 2 cents into discussion.  The beauty of open
> source that anyone who has enough resources can create a fork and
> maintain it, and send patches to upstream, eventually the repository
> which has more contributors will become upstream itself. Those who
> want to prove that github will help project can create a fork there,
> and synchronize changes with upstream. If you succeed and you would
> have more contributors than original project, the fork will become new
> upstream,  everyone will benefit from that, If not than it will prove
> that github doesn't provide any benefits.

Sort of.  I suspect that many users get their software from a distribution, not from the upstream itself.  Therefore the source used by the distributions, which will tend to be the "official" and in the absence of that "oldest" will generally prevail.

This doesn't mean forks can't be successful, it is just that, again, in my experience, Open Source has organized around them being the option of last resort, not of experimentation.

regards,

bex