Pass length limit

Amir Yalon quoiceehoh-20180826 at yxejamir.net
Tue May 26 14:19:33 CEST 2020

On Tue, May 26, 2020, at 14:03, Sándor Iváncsics wrote:
> It seems to me that the line length is limited to 4096 chars

Nitpicking correction: it’s 4095, not 4096

The relevant line from the source code is:

    read -r -p "Enter password for $path: " -s password || exit 1

According to this answer on Stack Overflow[1], adding `-e` should solve the
problem, i.e. change it to:

    read -r -p "Enter password for $path: " -s -e password || exit 1

[1] https://stackoverflow.com/a/51274694

My experimentation shows that it does solve the problem. However, who knows what
unintended consequences it will cause?

As Rémi points out, you can overcome this with `pass insert -e`, and I would
like to suggest to try `pass insert -m` as well.