curious: why use own hosting rather than github?

Armin Wehrfritz dkxls23 at gmail.com
Wed May 27 03:47:25 CEST 2020

It's rather interesting to see how far this discussion went...

Anyway, it's quite easy to understand why the password-store project
uses cgit and mailing-lists if one considers that the lead
developer/maintainer for password-store is also the maintainer for
cgit (https://git.zx2c4.com/cgit/about/).

I believe that for a "small" project/organisation like password-store,
hosting an own gitlab instance is just overkill (and quite frankly,
just a pain in the neck for the admin), and that doesn't even consider
all the issues that gitlab has on its own. gitea is indeed a nice
looking alternative, but worrying that they don't host their own code
in a gitea instance... I have so far shied away from using it for
exactly that reason.

Personally, I am not a fan of having patches send around via a mailing
list and much rather have them in a pull-request on GitHub or the
like, but I respect the developers decision to do it this way - after
all this is how the Linux kernel is being developed. Though, for the
kernel there exists a nice web-interface to track and update patches
(https://patchwork.kernel.org/), as well as a real bug tracker
(https://bugzilla.kernel.org/), while otherwise still using mailing
lists.

However, no matter which system is being used, I believe it is
important for any project to provide feedback on patches and bug
reports in a timely manner. This is an issue seen with projects on
GitHub/GitLab/Bitbucket equally well as with projects hosted on a
smaller platform like zx2c4.com. However, on GitHub things don't get
that easily lost or at least can be easily found again - which is
apparently the major issue here.

In summary, at least a proper bug tracker would come in real handy here.

Just my two cents...

--
Armin