curious: why use own hosting rather than github?

Kenny Evitt kenny.evitt at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 17:17:24 CET 2020

I have no complaints about Jason's maintenance of this project. Thanks
again for your great work Jason!

Anyone is free to host the Pass repo on GitHub; I have two such 'forks':

- https://github.com/kenny-evitt/password-store
- https://github.com/kenny-evitt/password-store-buw

They're both old – the most recent commit on the 'regular' project
above is from 2016.

That second one is an explicit 'soft fork' as it contains patches
(commits) that I wasn't able to write in a way that Jason was willing
to accept. (They're for the old Bash on Ubuntu on Windows and pertain
to clipboard support in that specific not-very-Unixy environment.)

If anyone wants to use either of those repos as a community issue
tracker, they are welcome to do so. But I'm not personally committed
to helping! So, practically, it might be better to just create another
fork/project.

Armin wrote:

> However, no matter which system is being used, I believe it is important for any project to provide feedback on patches and bug reports in a timely manner.

I agree that CAN be important – and is or is not to Armin or anyone
else. But no one's obligated to provide ANYTHING in a timely manner or
at all. If timely feedback is important, then you should seek to
secure it – and, ideally, without badgering or guilting someone into
providing it (for free).

One of the beauties of open source is that almost anyone can help
themselves (if they're sufficiently motivated). Anyone can create
another GitHub fork/project for Pass. I suspect the limiting resource
is the willingness of anyone to actually provide feedback for such a
GitHub project, in a timely manner or not. Having done that kind of
(unpaid) work myself in the past, I can vouch that it can be a LOT of
work and, sadly, often unsatisfying or even dispiriting. The worst
aspect to me was dealing with 'entitlement'. I often found that
_galling_.