easier selection of passwords

Kjetil Torgrim Homme kjetil.homme at redpill-linpro.com
Wed Feb 17 17:25:17 UTC 2021

On 17/02/2021 17:28, Alec Hill wrote:
> Hello dear people!  I'm wondering if there are any
> suggestions/solutions/thoughts about easier selection of passwords...
>
> With dozens of passwords in variously nested directories, it can be
> hard to remember where one lives.  I could spend time better
> organizing my password folder structure and memorizing this...

Sounds like your organization into nested directories is detrimental
rather than helpful.  I keep it simple: I have just two top-level
directories, "job" and "private", and the filenames inside are the
domain names for the places the password is for.  If I need more
accounts on a domain, I let the domain be a directory with one file per
account.

(I also add symlinks manually when there is a less than obvious
connection between the login screen domain and the service name.  I
would definitely like to see an extension to make it easier to create
these - having to "cd ~/.password-store; ln -s foo bar; git add bar; git
commit" is a bit inconvenient.)

--
Kjetil T. Homme
Redpill Linpro AS - Changing the game