best practice for shell scripting

Frank Grüllich frank.gruellich at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 09:15:34 UTC 2021

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 26, 2021 at 09:58:32AM +0100, Alan Schmitt wrote:
> [rclone (https://rclone.org/) webdav] Rclone does not seem to have a
> way to specify calling an external program, but I can pass the
> password on the command line.

I've never used rclone with WebDav, but a quick look at the
documentation[1] tells me that you can configure the password with an
environment variable and that is what I would do.  Eg.:

RCLONE_WEBDAV_PASS="$(pass show path/to/webdav/pass)" rclone ...

That would similarly also work as command line option, but would reveal
the password at the process list to any other user/program on the
machine.  Injecting it via env var is *slightly* more secure.  HTH.

Kind regards,
 Frank.
=== footnotes ===
[1] https://rclone.org/webdav/#webdav-pass