Sync store to Firefox

Fri Jul 16 22:51:40 UTC 2021

12021/04/36 07:59.85 ನಲ್ಲಿ, Nils Andre <nils at nilsand.re> ಬರೆದರು:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Over the weekend, I'd like to work on a tool that would sync passwords
> between a pass store to Firefox (using Firefox Accounts).
>
> Motivations (non-exhaustive):
>
> 1. Improve the UX of inputting passwords on Firefox
> 2. Security (https://lock.cmpxchg8b.com/passmgrs.html)
>
> However, before I start, I'd like to make sure that any such tools do
> not already exist and get some advice/opinions.
>
> So if you are aware of that being the case, and/or have anything to say
> (ideas, feedback, opinions, implementation details, what have you), then
> I'd love to hear about them.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nils

Hi Nils!

If you want to store your passwords within Firefox, I guess I don't quite understand why the solution isn't just to use Lockwise. Is there something I'm missing?

To your proposal, I suspect you'd have to do some sync between pass and Firefox's password store, which might be messy and prone to errors, to be honest. Personally, I open up a terminal and copy the password using `pass -c`, since Firefox is sandboxed using firejail and doesn't have access to my password store (and it will *never* have access to my password store).

I think it's somewhat dangerous to expose the single riskiest program on your computer to your password store. Browsers are extremely complex and are already dealing with tons of untrusted input from malicious or compromised websites. Giving that program access to as little data as possible seems to be a good policy, in my opinion.

Cheers!

- Chiraag
--
ಚಿರಾಗ್ ನಟರಾಜ್