[PROPOSAL] Fallback if extension not in PASSWORD_STORE_EXTENSIONS_DIR.

Karl Fogel kfogel at red-bean.com
Mon Dec 18 03:47:22 UTC 2023

On 17 Dec 2023, Greg Minshall wrote:
>> Many programs behave the other way: an extension can be
>> installed in a
>> user-specific location or in a system location or both, and the
>> user-specific location always shadows the system location.
>
>i don't know if this was the original thinking, but i think
>because this
>is a security program, one wants to be extra careful that the
>user
>doesn't (too (*)) inadvertently turns on
>possibly risky features.
>
>cheers, Greg
>
>(*) there are never guarantees.

*nod* Yeah, I get the general principle.  So (thinking aloud here)
the idea is:

If the user has set PASSWORD_STORE_EXTENSIONS_DIR, we interpret
that as the user saying that it's the one and only place where
they want extensions to come from.  Therefore 'pass' shouldn't
fall back to looking in "${PASSWORD_STORE_DIR}/.extensions" or in
"${HOME}/.password-store/.extensions" to find an extension -- that
could potentially be a surprising behavior, and the user might not
have been careful about (for example) what old versions of
extensions, or what experimental extensions, are lying around in
those other directories.

I can understand being cautious by default.  This decision might
be worth documenting in the script.  Attached is a patch that does
so, in case you all want it.

Best regards,
-Karl