How to migrate pass to other operating system?

Andrew Stryker axs at sdf.org
Mon Jun 26 16:36:30 UTC 2023

Csanyi Pal <csanyipal at gmail.com> wrote on 2023-Jun-26:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed password-store on my Xubuntu operating system.
>
> I must to migrate to the other operating system, namely Ubuntu on an other
> machine.

By migrating to another system, I assume that you are referring to the
passwords data, not the password-store programs. And I assume that your
need is a one-time transfer, not a continuous need to manage data on
multiple systems.

There are two general approaches:

  1. Copy all you data onto a portable drive (e.g., USB "thumb drive").
  The default data location is `$HOME/.password-store`. Copy that
  directory structure to the portable drive and then copy from the
  portable drive to your new machine.

  2. Start an ssh server on your new machine. You will then be able to
  copy data to your new machine with `scp` or `rsync`. This option is
  only makes sense if the first approach is not an option for you. The
  Ubuntu has instructions for starting an ssh service on their webpages.

Hope this helps,

Andrew