[PhotoFloat] debian package maturing

Antoine Beaupré anarcat at orangeseeds.org
Mon Jun 3 04:49:07 CEST 2013

Hey folks,

I started work on the Debian package. So far, it works well. I had to
strip out a lot of code from the PhotoFloat distribution, as I
mentionned before, to comply with Debian policies, but it seems the
package still works. :)

I also *think* it supports multiple galleries. The shared code is stored
in /usr/share/photofloat, so to create a new gallery symlink needs to be
used, for example, to create my gallery, I did:

    mkdir /var/www/photofloat
    cd !$
    ln -s /usr/share/photofloat/web/*
    mkdir albums cache

Then I can go into /var/www/photofloat and run photofloat as normal.

Things would be much simpler if:

 1. I could pass only the /var/www/photofloat directory to main.py
 2. if main.py would then create albums/ and cache/ automatically for me
 3. if main.py would setup those symlinks automatically
 4. the albums and cache directories would be one level up
 (so that only one symlink would be required, or an Apache Alias directive)

To make things real clear, here's the current hierarchy for a gallery:

$ cd /var/www/photofloat
$ ls -Rl
.:
total 4K
drwxr-xr-x 4 anarcat anarcat 4096 juin   2 22:18 web

./web:
total 76K
drwxr-xr-x 9 anarcat anarcat  4096 mai    5 23:46 albums
drwxr-xr-x 2 anarcat anarcat 73728 juin   2 22:25 cache
lrwxrwxrwx 1 anarcat anarcat    29 juin   2 22:04 css -> /usr/share/photofloat/web/css
lrwxrwxrwx 1 anarcat anarcat    31 juin   2 22:04 fonts -> /usr/share/photofloat/web/fonts
lrwxrwxrwx 1 anarcat anarcat    29 juin   2 22:04 img -> /usr/share/photofloat/web/img
lrwxrwxrwx 1 anarcat anarcat    36 juin   2 22:04 index.html -> /usr/share/photofloat/web/index.html
lrwxrwxrwx 1 anarcat anarcat    28 juin   2 22:04 js -> /usr/share/photofloat/web/js
lrwxrwxrwx 1 anarcat anarcat    38 juin   2 22:04 redirect.php -> /usr/share/photofloat/web/redirect.php
lrwxrwxrwx 1 anarcat anarcat    42 juin   2 22:04 staticrender.php -> /usr/share/photofloat/web/staticrender.php

albums/ and cache/ are what you expect, and are removed from the output
for brievety.

I am not so happy with the "symlink forest" approach, but at least it
works. The #4 mentionned above would mostly fix that, and then the
directory structure would look like:

$ cd /var/www/photofloat
$ ls -Rl
.:
total 4K
drwxr-xr-x 9 anarcat anarcat  4096 mai    5 23:46 albums
drwxr-xr-x 2 anarcat anarcat 73728 juin   2 22:25 cache
drwxr-xr-x 4 anarcat anarcat  4096 juin   2 22:18 web -> /usr/share/photofloat/web

Here we would only have to symlink the web/ directory instead of
symlinking all the contents. Of course, it's tricky because the
index.html needs to be installed somewhere, so maybe a compromise would
be this:

$ cd /var/www/photofloat
$ ls -Rl
.:
total 4K
drwxr-xr-x 9 anarcat anarcat  4096 mai    5 23:46 albums
drwxr-xr-x 2 anarcat anarcat 73728 juin   2 22:25 cache
drwxr-xr-x 4 anarcat anarcat  4096 juin   2 22:18 index.html -> /usr/share/photofloat/index.html
drwxr-xr-x 4 anarcat anarcat  4096 juin   2 22:18 web -> /usr/share/photofloat/web

So here we go... but at least we have photofloat in Debian now!

(Or will soon have, if the FTP masters accept the sanitized package... :)

A.

--
Imagine a world in which every single person on the planet is given
free access to the sum of all human knowledge.