[PhotoFloat] my pet peeves

Antoine Beaupré anarcat at orangeseeds.org
Mon Jun 3 17:59:29 CEST 2013

Hi Jason!

Thanks for reviving this, if you don't mind I expose my little pet
peeves below.

On 2013-05-22 07:31:25, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> PhotoFloat is a great project, but it's fallen by the wayside in
> recent years as I've been distracted by other things. But its codebase
> is still fairly clean, and it's used everyday on numerous sites and
> works well. I get quite a few emails every week with folks who enjoy
> using it who also have some suggestions or questions about it. It's
> time that I get things up to speed again.

Alright, so the first thing: should we use some sort of bugtracker or
something? :)

For example, there are issues in Firefox right now. PF works well in
Chrome, but in Firefox it's difficult to go back to the 'album' view
once you clicked on a picture, it's as if the picture overlay was
"hiding" (even though they are visible) the breadcrumb links on top,
which are not clickable.

> The first step is migrating this mailing list from the old horrible
> google groups (where you were previously subscribed) over to here --
> <http://lists.zx2c4.com>. Post any new messages to
> <photofloat at lists.zx2c4.com>.

Yay, that's awesome, screw google! :)

> What I'm especially interested to hear on this list is a good general
> summary thread of the features folks want. I've heard various
> proposals for additional metadata, touch gestures, and authentication.

Auth is a big thing, but more on that below...

Another is packaging: I am a Debian member and would love to ship
photofloat in Debian! There are a few things to do for this to work, see
http://bugs.debian.org/694259 for details. A short summary, this
includes:

 * renaming the "binary" (main.py..)
 * making releases (tagging the git repo would be a good start)
 * removing external libraries and fonts from the git repo (use mr or
   submodules)
 * separate code from data
 * multiple gallery support

> In fact, authentication support is kind of already half baked into
> PhotoFloat. I need to document it, as well as merge a new module over
> from the zx2c4-deployment git branch, but it's been running in
> production for me for a while, so expect this to be the first big
> addition to PhotoFloat.

Some documentation would be great here, as I couldn't figure it out. :)
Also, where's that -deployment branch?

I had made some hacks for this, but it was quite ugly, and required
messing aroud with the .htaccess (to block access completely) and
patching the 011-display.js file (to hide the blocked folders).

> As always, the project page is here:
> <http://zx2c4.com/projects/photofloat/>. This site design will also
> receive a revamp in the coming weeks. Stay tuned, and let me know what
> sorts of things you'd like added/changed.

Here's another santa claus wishlist:

 * tag support (read tags from the EXIF metadata and make those
   browsable / searchable)
 * Nautilus / sendto integration (so that you can 'send to Photofloat'
   from the file manage / shotwell / etc)
 * Specifically: Darktable export functions (probably a darktable plugin)
 * customization of the HTML output (add a copyright footer, change
   title, etc, without changing the core of the code)

Thanks!

A.

--
Semantics is the gravity of abstraction.