[PhotoFloat] towards a 1.0 release and patch merges

Antoine Beaupré anarcat at orangeseeds.org
Fri Feb 14 03:08:04 CET 2014

Hi everyone,

On 2014-01-22 20:38:27, Antoine Beaupré wrote:
> I would start by laying down a 0.1.0 tag on the current tree from Jason,
> then build from there towards a 1.0.0 release which would feature:

There's now a "anarcat-deploy" branch on alioth, here:

http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=collab-maint/photofloat.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/anarcat-deploy

This branch merges the following extra features and branches:

>  * HTML5 videos

the "video" branch, thanks jerome! I am having trouble making it work,
but it's a great start!

>  * RSS feeds

the "rss" branch, almost complete now - just need to have a "base_url"
parameter somewhere.

>  * photo preloading <http://lists.zx2c4.com/pipermail/photofloat/2013-October/000020.html>

the "preload" branch, from Joachim, untested

>  * bugfixing, esp. unicode oddities <http://lists.zx2c4.com/pipermail/photofloat/2014-January/000029.html>

the "bug-date-unicode" branch, mostly working, but kind of odd bug in
the first place...

there's also the "obsess" branch which allows for better testing (jerome
again).

and finally, there's a "no-google-spyware" patch which disables the
google tracker by default.

>  * distutils distribution <http://lists.zx2c4.com/pipermail/photofloat/2013-June/000009.html>

the "distutils" branch, still WIP, as we still have a makefile sitting around...

>  * more intuitive interface <http://lists.zx2c4.com/pipermail/photofloat/2013-June/000007.html>

the "usage" branch.

some branches I couldn't merge trivially so I just keep as separate
branches:

>  * threading support <http://lists.zx2c4.com/pipermail/photofloat/2013-October/000023.html>

the "threading" branch, from Joachim, also untested.

Finally, some work still is remaining:

>  * multiple galleries <http://lists.zx2c4.com/pipermail/photofloat/2013-June/000001.html>

this requires a few little improvements like creating the cache
directory by default and bringing in the symlinks automatically.

i'd like feedback before proceeding however, please respond to the
thread above.

>  * privacy / authentication  <http://lists.zx2c4.com/pipermail/photofloat/2013-October/000018.html>

still waiting on patches from jason here.

>  * tag support <http://lists.zx2c4.com/pipermail/photofloat/2013-June/000005.html>
>  * pypi releases
>  * sample cronjob
>  * inotify daemons
>  * and more!

those are still wishlist...

>  * debian package (oh i forgot, we already have that :)

the debian package does *not* ship with the "anarcat-deploy" branch
(that would be a little nuts).

> Jason, what do you think?

So, what I could do at this point would be to merge all this stuff in my
"master" branch. The reason I merge this in "anarcat-deploy" is because,
well, I'm deploying that stuff here using that branch, and I want my
local customizations.

One big blocker right now is exactly that: how do we customize
photofloat? It affects the main .html file, and can be worked around
there by just editing the file by hand, but for RSS feeds, it's way more
problematic: the parameter needs to be in the code somewhere. The number
of pics in the RSS feed is also hardcoded.

Should we have a configuration file of some sort somewhere for settings
like those?

Finally, should I just go ahead and release 0.1? :)

A.

--
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education
                        - Albert Einstein