[PhotoFloat] Tagging instead of albums

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Mon Jan 19 13:34:01 CET 2015

also sprach Jason A. Donenfeld <Jason at zx2c4.com> [2015-01-19 12:16 +0100]:
> Use symlinks. PhotoFloat is about unix.

Sure, I can do symlink farms, and I am experimenting with git-annex
views already.

But are you really suggesting that I then create "albums" for all
tag combinations?

If there are tags A, B, and C, then I'd need:

  - A
  - B
  - C
  - A AND B
  - A AND C
  - B AND C
  - A AND B AND C
  - A OR B
  - A OR C
  - B OR C
  - A OR B OR C

11 albums just for 3 tags? This is very cumbersome already, imagine
what will happen with more tags. And it's not very user-friendly for
the visitor either to have all those in a long list…

It was just an idea and just because Unix cannot do tagging properly
yet doesn't mean that PhotoFloat couldn't do it, especially if it
isn't that hard to build *on top of* Unix.

--
@martinkrafft | http://madduck.net/ | http://two.sentenc.es/

"i dislike arguments of any kind. they are always vulgar, and often
 convincing."
                                                        -- oscar wilde

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net