[PhotoFloat] Beginners questions

photofloat.thegrue at spamgourmet.com photofloat.thegrue at spamgourmet.com
Sat Aug 13 12:34:28 CEST 2016

Hello alltogether,

Since the menalto "gallery" is not maintained anymore, I've been
searching for a nice web gallery. Yesterday, I tried PhotoFloat and I
really like your minimalistic approach. I've been quite impressed by
the speed that is possible! Kudos!

As I've been playing around with it,
(http://test.the-grue.de/#!/brigitte_und_markus-urlaub-terlan_2016)
a few questions have risen and I hope you can help me with them:

1) What's the order for the folders? I have three folders named "08",
"10" and "11" and they appear in the order "11", "10", "08" ... (see
link above)

2) I read your documentation at
https://git.zx2c4.com/PhotoFloat/about/ about "Server-side
Authentication" but I didn't really get it. Could you elaborate a bit
more? As I understand, there's no "sign in" page but I have to provide
username and password in the URL?

3) make deploy sounds nice. Unfortunately, it doesn't work here:
I adjusted deployment-config.mk to my needs. When I run make deploy
then, it seems that the "sudo -v / sudo -u" pair doesn't work (I
removed some '@' from the Makefile to get more output):

% make deploy
    SSH     the-grue.de
    RSYNC   . the-grue.de :/srv/www/the-grue.de/test/htdocs
ssh -t -q -o ControlMaster=auto -o ControlPath=.ssh-deployment.sock the-grue.de  "sudo -u www-data -v"
[sudo] password for markus:
rsync -aizm --delete-excluded --exclude=.ssh-deployment.sock --exclude=Makefile --exclude=*.swp \
	--exclude=bin/ --include=scripts.min.js --include=styles.min.css \
	--exclude=*.js --exclude=*.css --rsh="ssh -q -o ControlMaster=auto -o ControlPath=.ssh-deployment.sock" \
	--rsync-path="sudo -n -u www-data rsync" \
	. "the-grue.de :/srv/www/the-grue.de/test/htdocs"
sudo: a password is required
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(226) [sender=3.1.1]
Makefile:50: recipe for target 'deploy' failed
make: *** [deploy] Error 12

I keep trying to solve that, but I hope you can help me. Of course, I
could craft my own rsync command, but I'd rather like to use yours...

4) Does your Makefile include the "./main.py ../web/albums
../web/cache" command? I didn't find it... So what do I have to do
after I have added more photos to my gallery?

% ./main.py ../web/albums ../web/cache
% make deploy  # like this?

5) I might try to add support for piwik instead of google
analytics. Are you interested in a patch?

So, keep up the good work, I'm really impressed :)
--
Markus Grunwald
http://www.the-grue.de