[WireGuard] Kubernetes/Neutron support

Pete Birley pete at port.direct
Mon Jul 18 15:57:49 CEST 2016

Hi,

I'm investigating using Wireguard to provide a network solution for
Kubernetes via a CNI or exec network driver - has anyone done anything
on this already?

We currently have about 500 pods, on 30 nodes, in our production
cluster (though plan to scale to about 20-30 times this), and use a
combination of OpenvSwitch (gre+IPsec tunnels between hosts) and
Flannel (Each host has a sub-net on a standard Linux bridge) to provide
connectivity. Though need to both improve availability and east-west
traffic distribution, especially when pods may be located is different
geographic regions, and are migrating to a solution based on OpenStack
Neutron with Dragonflow as the SDN layer.

Does anyone have any advice on the best way to implement such a
solution? We plan to implement a reasonably 'intelligent' strategy
where by our Neutron plugin identifies the most appropriate link for
each compute node, and so expect WireGuard to only be utilized for
inter-dc connections. In particular any input on the number of
connections a single node can take (ie full-mesh style topology),
before dedicated network nodes and a hub and spoke topology makes
sense? Any advice would be appreciated, and if we find that Wireguard
fits our needs then I'd love to get involved in the project.

Cheers

Pete Birley