[WireGuard] Using wireguard link as a proxy?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Jul 23 18:36:37 CEST 2016

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 13:05:27 -0500,
  Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:

>So for a real example that appears to be working, my systemd service

I had another issue and that is the proxy server was used for some
other services and I didn't want to connect to those from outside the
tunnel. So I wanted some traffic to the proxy server to go direct and
some to go through the tunnel. This involves marking packets. But the
guessed source addresses don't use the marks, so you need to rewrite
(SNAT) the source address for some of the outgoing packets. If you
want static rules to do this you need to have the incorrect guesses
be to use normal routing and then rewrite the source address for
packets going over the tunnel. As the tunnel address is fixed, but
the normal gateway address will change when moving between networks or
possibly when dhcp leases expire.
The explanations for marking and policy routing aren't explicit about
how you need to handle the source address issue and why it happens, though
there are lots of mentions that there are problems related to the source
address.
Another gotcha is that ip rule can't negate a test for fwmark and testing
for fwmark equal to zero is a flag not to test it at all. So you need to
do more complicated packet marking.
I'm attaching the real systemd service file (with the routing policy
commands and other wireguard setup) and the iptables information.