[WireGuard] Demo Server: Dual stack?

Dan Lüdtke mail at danrl.com
Wed Nov 16 15:38:05 CET 2016

Hi Jason,

> I guess I could provide IPv6 connectivity, but.... why? It's a demo.

Because it is a demo of a brand new protocol, showing how it can be used with legacy versions payload and transport protocol. I find that odd, but as I understand we have contradicting point of views on IP protocols.

> If you're using it as an access point to the Internet with intentions
> beyond simply trying out WireGuard, then you're abusing my service.

I am not using it at all. But it would be useful for howtos and blog posts to reference it. I don't use vintage IP in my posts, so I can't refer to the official demo server.

Since many potential peers are behind NATs using RFC1918 legacy IP addresses AND have global unicast IP addresses (which are easier to whitelist in a firewall than maintaining port forwarding in networks using a dynamic configuration protocol) I expect WireGuard to be especially useful using IPv6 as transport.

BTW, I don't see any reason why the demo server should forward to the Internet at all. Connectivity between peers/server and accessing the hidden website would be enough for my usecase (howtos/blog posts), which may be a different one than what you intended when you setup the server.

> I'm happy to consider this, but I'll need to be convinced that this
> actually matters.

Unfortunately :) I, for one, need to be convinced why I should create lasting documentation using an EOL IP protocol. Why does IPv4 matter more than IPv6? Usually, latency is better when using IPv6. Latency is probably the first thing demo users test (ping through the tunnel).

However, if you like to share some information how to set up one myself, I am happy to host a IPv6 demo server. Currently I am wondering how to accept *any* public key in the [Peer] config.

Cheers,

Dan