[WireGuard] [ANNOUNCE] Snapshot `experimental-0.0.20161001` Available

Jason A. Donenfeld Jason at zx2c4.com
Sat Oct 1 01:34:22 CEST 2016

Hello,

A new experimental snapshot, `experimental-0.0.20161001`, has been tagged in
the git repository.

Please note that this snapshot is, like the rest of the project at this point
in time, experimental, and does not consitute a real release that would be
considered secure and bug-free. However, if you'd like to test this snapshot
out, there are a few relevent changes.

== Changes ==

  * poly1305: optimize unaligned access

  This is a very appreciated fix from René van Dorst, adjusting the arithmetic
  in Poly1305 to work fast on platforms with slow unaligned access, such as
  MIPS. According to his calculation, this gives a 50% improvement on small MIPS
  boxes.

  * hashtables: use rdrand() instead of counter

  Rather than incrementing a counter, we instead use rdrand, which gives us an
  extremely fast source of random numbers. We're still running this through
  siphash with a secret, so a backdoored rdrand implementation won't be a
  problem.

  * examples: add nat-hole-punching

  https://lists.zx2c4.com/pipermail/wireguard/2016-August/000372.html
  https://git.zx2c4.com/WireGuard/tree/contrib/examples/nat-hole-punching/README

  * examples: add key extractor

  https://lists.zx2c4.com/pipermail/wireguard/2016-August/000373.html
  https://git.zx2c4.com/WireGuard/tree/contrib/examples/extract-keys/README

  * tools: allow multiple AllowedIPs invocations

  Multiple AllowedIPs= lines can now be specified, which could improve
  readability of the config files.

  * send: properly encapsulate ECN

  Thanks to the guidance of Dave Taht, we now support ECN.

  * Rework headers and includes
  * compat: Isolate more functions

  In anticipation of upstreaming WireGuard, we've now moved most of our
  version-specific #ifdefs to compat.h, where we use horrible macro tricks to
  redefine functions for old versions. This allows us to keep the actual code as
  clean as possible. When we merge to mainline, compat.h will be deleted
  wholesale.

  * tests: test jumbo frames with more transfer
  * tests: add crypto-RP filter test
  * qemu: enhancements

  With this an numerous other commits, we've further expanded the test suite.

As always, the source is available at https://git.zx2c4.com/WireGuard/ and
information about the project is available at https://www.wireguard.io/ .

This snapshot is available in tarball form here:
  https://git.zx2c4.com/WireGuard/snapshot/WireGuard-experimental-0.0.20161001.tar.xz
  SHA256: ac3abb7b940716ac12b96a2cb3f7666598cbefd26f19c268f627dc47cd113ac8

If you're a snapshot package maintainer, please bump your package version. If
you're a user, the WireGuard team welcomes any and all feedback on this latest
snapshot.

Thank you,
Jason Donenfeld