[WireGuard] auth-only wireguard

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Thu Oct 6 17:03:10 CEST 2016

On Wed, Oct 05, 2016 at 19:12:57 -0700,
  Jehan Tremback <jehan at altheamesh.com> wrote:
>Are there any plans, or would you even consider, adding an option to
>WireGuard to disable encryption, and only authenticate packets? I'm
>assuming that an authentication-only mode would be significantly faster
>(maybe I'm wrong though). My use-case only needs auth, so if I were to
>use WireGuard, the encryption would be redundant.

That would depend on how fast your internet connection is and how much CPU
power you have. I suspect in many cases the extra latency is negligible
and it would be rare for encryption to be limiting bandwidth.

Without encryption you authentication won't be useful against attackers
that can modify packets or insert packets with the source address of your
contact.