potential preshared-key changes

Jason A. Donenfeld Jason at zx2c4.com
Sun Apr 23 00:22:22 CEST 2017

Hi folks,

Trevor and I have been discussing for some time changing the semantics of
preshared keys. I thought about this 18 months ago, but erred on the side
of keeping things as is. After a recent conversation in SF, I'm beginning
to reconsider. I wanted to open this up for discussion, as there are
several pros and cons.

means that the initiator's identity is not revealed until after the
receiver has decrypted using the preshared-key. This in turn means that
preshared-keys must be _per-interface_ instead of _per-peer_. This has
some advantages and some disadvantages. The proposal is to change the
crypto so that the preshared-key is mixed in *last*, so that
preshared-keys become shared _per-peer_.

Pros of per-interface preshared-keys (current method):

  * Simplicity.
  * That's how things work now.
  * The preshared-key protects the identity hiding in a post-quantum
    setting.
  * The preshared-key contributes to the DoS MACs and the cookie
    encryption.

Cons of per-interface preshared-keys (current method):

  * When using WireGuard with multiple peers, the peers must all share the
    same key, which increases the potential for compromise of the
    preshared-key (though the session is of course stil protected with the
    ordinary public key crypto).

Pros of per-peer preshared-keys (proposed method):

  * Compromise of the preshared-key is less likely, since it does not need
    to be shared by all peers.

Cons of per-peer preshared-keys (proposed method):

  * The identity hiding is no longer protected in a post-quantum setting.
  * The DoS MACs and cookie encryption no longer benefit from using the
    preshared-key.
  * It requires changing things.
  * Kevin and I have slightly more Tamarin work to do.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Regards,