WireGuard (Android) Configuration issues, etc.

Jordan Johnston johnstonljordan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 18:30:43 CET 2017

Hey Jason (and everyone else).

@Jason; we chatted on XDA yesterday, a few PMs back and forth (I'm
nine7nine on XDA).

So just as a recap; My progress with integrating WireGuard with my Kernel
and on the Stock Oreo 8.0 rom (Google Pixel 1);

Kernel support - working.
building the standalone wg-tools - working
wg-tools installation - working

Now, my issue seems to be with actually getting the WireGuard app working
with AzireVPN.... But in the process, I've figured out that wq-quick is NOT
working properly ~ which aside from the possibility that my configuration
for AzireVPM may be incorrect ~ The wg-quick issue is probably why the
android WireGuard app isn't working (as I assume it requires wg-quick)...
My pixel doesn't seem to recognise the wg-quick script being in
/system/xbin (even though it's there);

# wg-quick up wg0
sh: /system/xbin/wg-quick: No such file or directory

the script has;

#!/system/xbin/bash

changing it to not include bash, does allow it to be executed, but then I
get;

sh: /system/xbin/wg-quick: Permission denied

I'm not sure what's up here (but it doesn't matter if I'm root user or not,
same permission problem, I've checked permissions, it's executable, etc)...
***NOTE: If I manually use wg for setup ~ I can get the interface up and
working, following the quick start instructions and running wg for
verification (ref: https://www.wireguard.com/quickstart/) ... So i think
WireGuard is actually working. (kernel support and wg).... That said ~ I'm
going to have a stab at repackaging the user-space components as a standard
android flashable zip (as we talked about on XDA, @Jason), start fresh and
see if I can get it working...

All of that aside; I'm wondering if someone could post a working
config/template for AzireVPN or any other free VPN that supports
WireGuard??? (minus any private information, respectfully). I'd just like
to make sure that I have a working config for WireGuard on Android -> so
that when I try to test, after re-installing wg-tools ~ that might be one
less hiccup... I've never used WireGuard, so all very new to me.

Thanks

Jordan

PS: @Jason - I'm also going to have a look (later on) and see If i can get
the WireGuard android app to not "crash on boot" in Oreo ~ using the
commits for Kernel Aduitor's fixes that I pointed out to you yesterday,
when I brought up the issue. ttyl