Babel over wireguard

Lucian Cristian luci at createc.ro
Wed Dec 6 16:12:03 CET 2017

On 06.12.2017 15:22, Ryan Whelan wrote:
> If you're gauging interest, I would be very interested in using
> unicast atop Wireguard for routing selection
>
> Thank you for the explanation; very helpful.
>

> On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 8:11 AM, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke at toke.dk
> <mailto:toke at toke.dk>> wrote:
>
>     Ryan Whelan <rcwhelan at gmail.com <mailto:rcwhelan at gmail.com>> writes:
>
>     > Are there any routing protocol implementations that do not depend on
>     > multicast?
>
>     We are in the process of standardising Babel, and one of the things we
>     are adding is the ability to run entirely over unicast. So in the
>     future, Babel will be able to do this (and integration with
>     Wireguard is
>     one of the things I want to achieve with this). But for now, no
>     implementation exists.
>
>     Other than that, maybe BGP? But you'd still need integration with
>     Wireguard if you don't want to just set AllowedIPs to ::/0
>
>     > In my setup, 2 hosts will be able to route to one another over 2
>     > different wg interfaces and I just need something to select
>     whichever
>     > interface has the least latency. Anything like that exist? :D
>
>     You can do this with point-to-point wireguard links. I.e., as long as
>     the wireguard link only has two peers, you can set AllowedIPs to
>     0.0.0.0/0 <http://0.0.0.0/0>, ::/0 on both sides, assign manual
>     link-local addresses
>     (anything in fe80::/64 will work, so you could just assign
>     fe80::1/64 to
>     one side and fe80::2/64 to the other side; they don't need to be
>     globally unique either). Then you can run babeld on top, which will
>     instruct the kernel to send appropriate packets to the wireguard
>     interface, and wireguard will forward it to the other side.
>
>     It's not currently possible to run a routing daemon on a multi-peer
>     wireguard interface. The routing daemon would need to reconfigure
>     wireguard in the kernel when it adds routes. I am planning to add this
>     to Bird at some point, but have not gotten around to it yet...
>
>     -Toke

I'm usig frr routing with eigrp over wg

EIGRP: eigrpd 3.1-dev starting: vty at 2613
EIGRP: interface 192.168.123.1 [10] join EIGRP Multicast group.
EIGRP: interface 172.16.223.2 [15] join EIGRP Multicast group.
EIGRP: Neighbor 172.16.223.1 (wg0) is pending: new adjacency
EIGRP: Neighbor(172.16.223.1) adjacency became full

but it can be used as unicast specifing the neighbor, but with no
interface for the moment, is under development

Regards