(Unofficial) wireguard packages for Debian Stretch (testing)

David Anderson dave at natulte.net
Fri Feb 17 04:14:11 CET 2017

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 7:50 AM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg at fifthhorseman.net>
wrote:

> On Mon 2017-02-13 23:55:45 -0500, David Anderson wrote:
> > "Once stretch is released" could be a few months still, right? It's only
> > just gone into final freeze. I agree that once it's released, backports
> is
> > definitely the right way to distribute.
>
> Yep, it could still be a few months, depending on how rapidly we're able
> to fix the remaining outstanding release-critical bugs.
>
> > So, I'd initially tried doing this, by adding the unstable repository at
> > negative priority. What turned me off is that even with that low
> > preference, attempting to install the wireguard packages seemed to pull
> in
> > some core system libraries (libc and such) from unstable as well. And
> while
> > I'm excited about wireguard, I'm not "install unstable base libraries"
> > excited :).
>
> absolutely!  However, i'm a little surprised that this happened.  If you
> could show a transcript of what you did specifically, and what the
> resultant proposed apt changes were, i'd be interested in understanding
> what went on there.

Apologies for the delay. I tried pinning again on a fresh Stretch VM. It
looks like I confused myself by assuming that all the extra packages to be
installed were from sid as well, whereas -d shows that the vast majority
are coming from stretch/main. Sorry about the confusion, given this
behavior I completely agree that this should be the documented way to get
wireguard before stretch gets released as stable.

The transcript below still shows one additional package being pulled from
sid/main, the dkms package. I find this strange: wireguard-dkms depends on
dkms >=2.1.0.0, stretch has dkms 2.3-2, and sid has dkms 2.3-3. Despite the
negative priority for unstable, apt picks 2.3-3 from sid, even though the
dependency could be satisfied out of stretch. What am I missing?

root at atik # echo "deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian sid main"
>/etc/apt/sources.list.d/sid.list
root at atik # cat >/etc/apt/preferences.d/avoid_sid <<EOF
Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: -10
EOF
root at atik # apt update
Hit:1 http://security.debian.org stretch/updates InRelease
Hit:2 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stretch InRelease

Hit:3 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stretch-updates InRelease

Get:4 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian sid InRelease [231 kB]

Hit:5 http://deb.robustperception.io precise InRelease

Get:6 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian sid/main amd64 Packages [7,446 kB]
Get:7 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian sid/main Translation-en [5,645 kB]
Fetched 13.3 MB in 7s (1,739 kB/s)

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
All packages are up to date.
root at atik # apt upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
root at atik # apt install -d wireguard-dkms/unstable wireguard-tools/unstable
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Selected version '0.0.20170214-1' (Debian:unstable [all]) for
'wireguard-dkms'
Selected version '0.0.20170214-1' (Debian:unstable [amd64]) for
'wireguard-tools'
The following additional packages will be installed:
  dkms fakeroot gcc libfakeroot linux-headers-amd64
Suggested packages:
  python3-apport menu gcc-multilib autoconf automake libtool flex bison gdb
gcc-doc
  dkms fakeroot gcc libfakeroot linux-headers-amd64 wireguard-dkms
wireguard-tools
0 upgraded, 7 newly installed, 0 to remove and 59 not upgraded.
Need to get 348 kB of archives.
After this operation, 1,360 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
Get:1 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stretch/main amd64 gcc amd64
4:6.3.0-1 [5,184 B]
Get:2 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian sid/main amd64 dkms all 2.3-3 [74.9
kB]
Get:3 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stretch/main amd64 libfakeroot amd64
1.21-3.1 [45.7 kB]
Get:4 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stretch/main amd64 fakeroot amd64
1.21-3.1 [85.6 kB]
Get:5 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stretch/main amd64
linux-headers-amd64 amd64 4.9+78 [5,744 B]
Get:6 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian sid/main amd64 wireguard-dkms all
0.0.20170214-1 [85.5 kB]
Get:7 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian sid/main amd64 wireguard-tools amd64
0.0.20170214-1 [44.9 kB]
Fetched 348 kB in 0s (531 kB/s)
Download complete and in download only mode

Cheers,
- Dave