wg binary in armhf deb from ppa missing; armbian with Allwinner A20 chip modprobe wg not working

Jason A. Donenfeld Jason at zx2c4.com
Sun Feb 19 20:02:37 CET 2017

Hi Alex,

Make sure your binutils is up to date; an old one could account for the
error you're having. What version is your toolchain?

Jason

On Feb 19, 2017 18:22, "Egbert Verhage" <egbert at eggiecode.org> wrote:

Hey Alex,

The Banana PI boards here an Allwinner chip, which not great with the Linux
Kernel. All the kernels are custom builds (most of the time) to include
support for the chips/boards.
>From my experience the builds of armbian have the best images (Mind the I
have Banana PI M2, with an Allwinner A31S).

I can't help furder with wg on BananaPi board, sorry. Maybe somone else in
the mailing can help.

For the PPA package I need to figure out how the let him include make
install of wg/tools for armhf/arm64.

Greetz,
Egbert

On 2017-02-19 17:29, Alexander Morlang wrote:

Hi,
building on armhf reveals some effects i don’t understand:
On my raspi3 with raspian and kernel
uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 4.4.38-v7+ #938 SMP Thu Dec 15 15:22:21 GMT 2016
armv7l GNU/Linux
kernelmodule&wg are building just fine an the module loads. i had no
time for testing it, but it builds.

On Banana Pro with armbian an kernel
uname -a
Linux bananapipro 4.9.7-sunxi #1 SMP Thu Feb 2 01:52:06 CET 2017
armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux
it’s building, but the module will not load:

sudo modprobe wireguard
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'wireguard': Exec format error

modinfo wireguard
filename:       /lib/modules/4.9.7-sunxi/extra/wireguard.ko
alias:          rtnl-link-wireguard
author:         Jason A. Donenfeld <Jason at zx2c4.com> <Jason at zx2c4.com>
license:        GPL v2
depends:        udp_tunnel,ip6_udp_tunnel,x_tables
vermagic:       4.9.7-sunxi SMP mod_unload ARMv7 thumb2 p2v8

In dmesg, it shows:
[ 1404.917772] wireguard: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.
[ 1404.919392] wireguard: unknown relocation: 102

Next i will try with bananian and 4.4 kernel.

Gruß, Alex

Am 19.02.2017 um 15:51 schrieb Egbert Verhage <egbert at eggiecode.org>
<egbert at eggiecode.org>:

Hey Alex,

Ow, I never tested the package on armhf. I will give test it tomorrow on
my own Banana Pi 2 and Raspberry pi 2.

If you are running the image of lemaker on your banana pi, maybe try
first to build the package from the git repo.

Greetz,
Egbert

On 2017-02-19 02:14, Alexander Morlang wrote:

Hi,
used the launchpad ppa in xenial on armhf (Banana Pro).
The wireguard-tools packet installed only /usr/share/doc

Is this a known problem?

I downloaded thehttps://launchpad.net/~wireguard/+archive/ubuntu/wireguard/+files/wireguard-tools_0.0.20170214-wg1~xenial_armhf.deb
and hat a look with dpkg -c <file>, getting the same result of no
binary in the packet.

regards, Alex