(Unofficial) wireguard packages for Debian Stretch (testing)

Ibrahim Tachijian barhom at netsat.se
Tue Feb 21 01:53:31 CET 2017

I for one would love to be able to try WireGuard on Debian Jessie on 3.16
kernel.

The reason being is I do not see myself upgrading and/or running a
backported linux kernel for the foreseeable future.

Are there any limitations in 3.16 kernel when it comes to Wireguard
capabilities ?

Thanks,

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 11:49 AM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg at fifthhorseman.net

On Thu 2017-02-16 22:14:11 -0500, David Anderson wrote:
> The transcript below still shows one additional package being pulled from
> sid/main, the dkms package. I find this strange: wireguard-dkms depends on
> dkms >=2.1.0.0, stretch has dkms 2.3-2, and sid has dkms 2.3-3. Despite
the
> negative priority for unstable, apt picks 2.3-3 from sid, even though the
> dependency could be satisfied out of stretch. What am I missing?

That is indeed weird.  what does "apt-cache policy dkms" show you?

# apt-cache policy dkms
dkms:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 2.3-2
  Version table:
     2.3-3 -1
        -10 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian sid/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     2.3-2 500
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stretch/main amd64 Packages

what if you "apt install dkms" on its own first, which version do you
get?

# apt install -d dkms
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
  fakeroot gcc libfakeroot linux-headers-amd64
Suggested packages:
  python3-apport menu gcc-multilib autoconf automake libtool flex bison gdb
gcc-doc
  dkms fakeroot gcc libfakeroot linux-headers-amd64
0 upgraded, 5 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 217 kB of archives.
After this operation, 717 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
Get:1 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stretch/main amd64 gcc amd64
4:6.3.0-1 [5,184 B]
Get:2 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stretch/main amd64 dkms all 2.3-2
[74.8 kB]
Get:3 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stretch/main amd64 libfakeroot amd64
1.21-3.1 [45.7 kB]
Get:4 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stretch/main amd64 fakeroot amd64
1.21-3.1 [85.6 kB]
Get:5 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stretch/main amd64
linux-headers-amd64 amd64 4.9+78 [5,744 B]
Fetched 217 kB in 0s (328 kB/s)
Download complete and in download only mode

Looks like installing just dkms correctly selects from Stretch, whereas
installing as a dependency of wireguard-dkms pulls in the sid version.

- Dave

        --dkg